Senior Accountant at Mortgage Company in Washington, Washington D.C., United States — $90K-$125K
- Mortgage Company
- Washington, Washington D.C., United States USA
- 1/13/20 2020-01-13
Job ID: 37345
Review and analyze complex financial information to record transactions, prepare financial reports, and review and verify accuracy. Serve as the initial reviewer for journal entries, work papers, reports, schedules and materials. Operate in a lead role within the team. Train and provide leadership to staff. Assist the Accounting Manager/Director in team planning, assignments and other duties, as needed.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Compile, review, analyze, and record financial information to the general ledger. Complete monthly closings and effectively explain results to management.
- Review balance sheet and profit and loss statements, consolidated financial statements, and other accounting schedules and reports including externally-required disclosures.
- Review daily, weekly, and monthly reconciliations to ensure general ledger account information is accurate, consistent, traceable, and auditable.
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external customers.
- Identify control weaknesses, communicate to management, and implement changes to tighten and enhance controls and mitigate risk.
- Assist with coordinating and administering assignments, monitoring accounting team progress and managing schedules.
- Review and finalize staff work papers and deliverables with General Accounting Manager/Director.
- Provide and effectively explain requested information to auditors, consultants, and others on highly significant matters requiring coordination.
- Design, modify, install, and/or maintain accounting systems to ensure adequate recognition of highly complex financial transactions.
- Provide feedback and input into staff performance reviews, as applicable, including specific performance feedback for calibrations and talent assessments.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- 8+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and implement advanced accounting concepts (e.g. asset impairment, amortization, consolidation accounting, sales accounting, non-accrual accounting, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience testing and validating accounting results for accounting system implementations
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing and validating accounting changes or corrections to accounting system
- Proficiency in Excel required. Includes proficiency with vlookup, pivot, sumifs functions as well as ability to import, reconcile and validate complex data from multiple sources
- Secondary mortgage market experience is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and implement GAAP and SEC financial disclosure requirements
- Public accounting and/or accounting operations experience required
- Process improvement/automation preferred
- Comfortable working with large amounts of data